It tastes like hot chocolate mix smells!
That is what a friend of mine said about this frosting, and she couldn’t have described it more perfectly. Yum!
This classic chocolate buttercream frosting is perfect for frosting cakes, cupcakes, brownies and would make a great frosting for cookie sandwiches! It is one of my go to recipes!
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter (softened)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup heavy cream (or milk)
- Cream butter for a few minutes in a mixer on medium speed.
- Sift 3 cups powdered sugar and cocoa into the mixer bowl.
- Carefully mix on low speed until combined.
- Increase mixer speed to medium and add vanilla extract, salt, and cream. and beat for 3 minutes.
- Adjust your frosting to the desired consistency by adding a little more sugar (1/4 cup at a time) to make frosting stiffer or a little more cream (1 tablespoon at a time) to make frosting smoother.