These delicious muffins bring together three of my favorite flavors…banana, coconut, and chocolate! I was inspired to make these by one of my favorite (but sadly now discontinued) summer drinks from Starbucks, the Banana Coconut Frappacino. But now the tasty trio will live on in a muffin!
I adapted this recipe from my mom’s banana bread recipe that has been a favorite in my family cookbook for years. And oh…my…goodness did they turn out amazing! Enjoy them warm right out of the oven or for breakfast. They are awesome with an iced cuppa joe. 😉
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp coconut extract (optional)
- 3-4 ripe bananas
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup toasted coconut
- ⅓ cup raw coconut flakes (optional)
- 1 tbsp turbinado sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 24 muffin tins with paper liners.
- Toast coconut shreds in a pan on medium heat, stirring constantly to brown all sides. Be careful because it can burn easily so increase heat slowly and stir, stir, stir!
- Cream sugar, butter, and salt together.
- Sift flour and baking soda together. (sifting will help distribute the soda and allow the muffins to rise and have a fluffier texture)
- Add flour, eggs, vanilla extract, coconut extract and mix until just blended.
- Add mashed bananas and mix thoroughly.
- Stir in chocolate chips and toasted coconut.
- Spoon into muffin cups.
- Sprinkle lightly with turbinado sugar and top with raw coconut (the coconut will toast while baking)
- Bake for 15 - 18 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from muffin pans and cool on rack.
- Enjoy while they are warm and gooey! Nom nom nom!
Leave a Reply