It’s mid-February and while that technically may be winter in the majority of the states, here in sunny Arizona these 80 degree days sure are starting to feel a helluva lot like springtime. I’m wearing flip flops and shorts today. Just sayin.
All this springtime talk mixed with the millions of fresh picked lemons I had lying around and blogging from the patio was sure putting me in the mood for something refreshingly fizzy.
This perfectly simple cocktail does the trick. There’s no need to get fancy. All it takes is a few simple ingredients you are likely to have hanging around the kitchen and you are on your way to a cool concoction that’s perfect for a sunny afternoon by the pool or for some sippin’ in the shade of the back patio.
Ah, the simple things in life. <3
- 1 cup ice
- 1 oz vodka
- 1 cup club soda
- fresh lemon slices
- berries (fresh or frozen)
- Find yourself a cute mason jar, fancy glass, mug, red cup or other liquid receptacle with a 2 cup volume.
- Fill it with 1 cup of ice.
- Pour in 1 oz of your favorite vodka, regular or flavored. I like a little extra fruitiness so I tend to go for something berry flavored. Stoli Blueberi is my fave, but since I was out of that, Stoli Razberi made a fine substitute.
- Add in a couple of fresh lemon slices and squeeze a little lemon juice in there.
- Toss in a few berries of your choice. I prefer blueberries and strawberries. Frozen berries are perfect because they also help keep your drink cold, but it doesn't matter too much if they are fresh or frozen. Feel free to mash them around with your straw a little bit (this technique is called "lazy gal muddling").
- Stir and enjoy. (I may have enjoyed a few myself, while writing this. Don't you judge me.)