These are The Boy’s favorite holiday cookies. He grew up with these cookies and they were the first baking recipe that he shared with me (or rather, “hey mom, can you give Heidi that recipe so she can make me some”, is more accurate). I have made a few modifications to account for my taste in nuts and his taste in chocolate and now they are pretty much perfect. We have made them every year since and they always go fast!
You can swap the hazelnuts out for any other nuts that you like. I personally hate walnuts, but I know that hazelnuts can be hard to find. I recommend pecans as a solid backup nut. Same with the chocolate chips. If you aren’t into dark chocolate (wait…WHAT!?) then semi-sweet chips are just as tasty. 😉
- 1½ cup graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tbsp sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts
- 1½ cup (one 10oz bag) dark chocolate chips
- 1½ cup flaked coconut
- 1 can (15oz) sweetened condensed milk
- Mix crumbs, sugar and margarine (I did this in the food processor after I chopped up my graham crackers) and press evenly and firmly into the bottom of a 13 x 9 baking dish for form a crust
- Sprinkle a layer of hazelnuts, then a layer of chocolate chips and lastly a layer of coconut evenly over the crust.
- Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over the coconut layer
- Bake at 350º for about 25 mins or until the coconut is lightly browned at the edges.
- Let cool completely and then cut into bars.
Leave a Reply